Monday, October 7, 2013

The Business.


"Buckle up for another long day, kid," the Best Boy told me as he stopped to check in with me at our staging. "I heard it'll be another fifteen hour day."

I groaned. "Again? We've been pulling these kind of hours all week." The entire crew was exhausted and it wasn't helping that the rate for this job was way lower than what we were all used to getting.

"Yup. And don't forget we have to wrap out of here tonight too."

I groaned again. Looking around at all the gear we had around, it'd take us at least an hour after they called wrap to get everything packed up and loaded on the truck before we could hit the road ourselves.

The Best Boy grinned at me and I couldn't tell if it was meant to be snide or not. "Hey, welcome to Hollywood. This is what we got into the business for."

I rolled my eyes, trying to think of a witty comeback that would cover me on the chance his comment was meant to be more joking than patronizing. But I was too tired to think of one.

Luckily, a Grip overheard our conversation and put in his two-cents.

"Actually," he butted in, "you're not in the film business. If you're in the film business, you certainly wouldn't be sitting in a crappy, old, dusty stage for sixteen hours a day. You'd probably be in an office somewhere making real money. I hate to break it to you but you're not in the film business. You're in the film industry."

And with that, he walked away leaving the Best Boy and me to ponder our career choices.


1 comment :

Michael Taylor said...

I think most people in Hollywood are where they are -- be it the film "business" or the film "industry" -- because of who they are... and those of us who work on set in below-the-line crafts just aren't (for one reason or another) cut out for those office jobs.

If we were, that's where we'd be -- but instead we suffer through 16 hour days working hard, staring at our shoes, and trolling the craft service table.

What that all adds up to, I don't know. All I do know is that we are who we are and do what we do, for better and/or worse. Same as it ever was.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License .